It's a New Year! As we look back at – on our accomplishments and our intentions, we now get another chance to move ahead. Perhaps in the past few weeks you were able to reflect on friends, family and other special people who have loved and inspired you throughout the year. In your gratitude, perhaps you’ve also been thinking about ways to be a better person to yourself and others in the new year.
While renewing and redoing begins in the New Year with resolutions, remember it is just beginning! And to continue with new beginnings, here are a few tips if this is the year for a home renovating project:
- Discuss needs and wishes and determine whether you want to undergo a major or minor project and inquire about funding.
- If major renovation is required, are you willing to move out or get storage pods, if needed?
- Make a list of priorities before you call in a professional team (designer, architect, and contractor) and look at magazines, homes in the neighborhood, etc. for ideas.
- Bring in the professionals for a consultation before you hire anyone, get references and make your final decision.
- Start with the interior designer and get space plan alternatives.
- Next bring in the architect for a feasibility study of interior plans and to make exterior drawings.
- Check town or municipality requirements and decide who will file plans.
- When the plans are finalized, give the same plan to all general contractors bidding your job and be sure to get references.
- Compare contracts and prices to make sure of what’s included and what’s not and how long it will take to complete.
- Schedule payments based on accomplished work and make sure your team is working together.