Natalie Weinstein Design Associates
No – it’s not a dance or a party. It’s just my way of saying it’s time to take that ball (all your clutter) and head it toward the goal post or basket – a big basket (I fear your wastebasket isn’t big enough). Super Bowl is over and your guests may not be coming back until Easter or Passover, but look at the calendar. How much time do you need to get your house in order?
Cleanup is only the first order of business. The next is to take an assessment of the physical needs of your home – the roof, air conditioning, appliances that are on their way out and other items that might not look like you are “decorating” but can build up to big ticket numbers if left unattended. The garden cleanup is another project that needs attention by you or others. In short, your home can only take care of you if you take care of it.
Now for the old and tired furnishings. Are they going to be replaced, reupholstered, used as place holders? Is the floor plan a good one for your home and your lifestyle? Can you benefit from a re-assessment of usable space? Is this the year you are going for a major renovation – kitchen, bathroom, extension? As always, the first action needed is a plan of action. It shows intent and can be backed up by doing research to create a viable budget for your wants and needs. So far, no money has been spent, but the time you spend to do your planning can save you lots of money – and stress, as well.
- Think out of the box and maybe out of your comfort zone. Check out the internet and magazines for design and renovation ideas that appeal and see if some can work for you and your home.
- Would you consider a fresh coat of paint to enhance your existing furnishing?
- Are your window treatments dated and too heavy? Try removing most of them, leaving just the sheers, or putting up new sheers to let light and spring in?
- Would new accessories refresh or is it time to clear out the display cabinets and leave only what you truly love so people, as well as you, can actually see these items and enjoy the view?
- Have you ever visited a consignment store? – Our Uniquely Natalie shop is filled with truly beautiful quality pieces that will fit into your budget and still look new.
So get the momentum going. How will you welcome the coming of spring in your home and life?